How to Achieve Your Goals

by Anna D

We’ve all heard it before ever since we were kids, “you can be whatever you want to be.” I never fully realized the meaning of that saying until a a few years ago when I reached my fitness goals, decided to become a personal trainer, and opened my own business. Quitting my good-paying job and deciding to do what I absolutely love was a huge risk but it also has big rewards. I’m enjoying those rewards in the form of seeing my clients get results and knowing that I can help them achieve their goals. I’m telling you this because I want you to know that you can do it too. Whatever goals you have whether it’s for business, career, health, or family life, you can achieve them. You may have to take some necessary actions and you may have to take yourself out of the comfort zone but the end result is always worth it, I promise.

9027554305114328_Reach1

So, now that I’ve done my little motivation schpill, I’d like to talk about how to achieve the goals that you have set for yourself and how you can increase the likelihood of achieving them. I will mention some percentages from a research study but please forgive me because I don’t know which organization did the study. The study said that if you simply hear yourself say a goal, you have a 10% probability that you will achieve that goal. This probability increases to 40% when you write your goals down. Then, you have a 50% chance of achieving a goal when you have a plan and you increase this chance to 65% when you tell somebody that you’re going to execute your plan. Lastly and more importantly, this probability increases all the way to 95% when you make an appointment with that somebody and report to them if you executed your plan or not.

The first time I ever heard this statistic, I was shocked! Well, maybe not so much because I truly believe in having support and accountability in everything we do because this is exactly how I achieve my goals in life. For fitness, I report to my friend who is also a personal trainer. In business, I have a coach who keeps me accountable and gives me homework. In my personal life, my husband reminds me of what I told him I want to achieve. The support and accountability that I get from them are extremely important in my life because I know that motivation and inspiration can only last for a short period of time.

You will shout on top of the mountain too once you've achieved your goals.

You will shout on top of the mountain too once you

Now that you know how you can achieve more in your life, here is an example of how you can apply this to your fitness goals. Let’s say you want to lose 10 lbs in 8 weeks. This is the outcome or result that you want to get. But, in order to do that, you would need to change some behaviors and this is where your plan would come in. Here is a sample of a plan of action or behavioral changes that I would put together:

  • Limit my calorie intake to 1,500 calories a day by counting calories.
  • Plan all my meals for a whole week during Sunday mornings.
  • Do a strength training workout 3 times a week.
  • Do a cardio interval training workout 2 times a week.
  • Reduce my sugary desserts to having them once or twice a week.
  • Increase my protein intake to 1 g per pound of body weight. For instance, if I weigh 120 lbs, I would need to eat 120g of protein a day.

Once I write the outcome and the behavioral changes that I want, I would then tell my personal trainer or spouse about it. After that, I will check in with them once or twice a week regarding my progress or ask them for help if I’m having any difficulty doing any of them. The behavioral changes that I outlined above is actually a great plan of action especially if you add the support/accountability part to it. I also suggest that you keep your plan handy like in your wallet or something and read it everyday. Reading them keeps you focused on your plan and the outcome you want to achieve.

I hope I have helped move you in the right direction in your goal achievement process whichever they may be. If you have any questions, please feel free to send me an e-mail or leave a comment below.

Leave a Comment

{ 1 trackback }

Previous post:

Next post: